2019 Amazon Prime Day Recap
The numbers are in: Prime Day broke every record in 2019 (again). This year’s global shopping event took place on the 15th and 16th of July, a full 12 hours longer in duration than the prior year, and drove more revenue than Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined.
Customers from all over the world purchased over 175 million products from 18 countries, and while Amazon hasn’t released exact sales figures, they have shared the following stats via their press release:
- A record number of Prime members shopped during Prime Day in the U.S
- Worldwide prime members saved more than one billion dollars throughout Prime Day
- Members in 18 countries shopped – double the number since the first Prime Day
- Amazon welcomed more new Prime members on July 15 than any previous day, and almost as many on July 16 – marking the two biggest days ever for member signup
- Customers purchased millions of smart home devices, with top-selling deals included iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum, MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener Chamberlain MYQ-G0301, and Amazon Smart Plug
- Members shopped across nearly the entire catalog of products including electronics, beauty, fashion, grocery, toys, furniture, household, and more
- Top selling products in the United States was the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, Instant Pot DUO60, and 23andMe Health + Ancestry kits
- Globally small to medium size businesses far exceeded $2 billion in sales, making it the biggest Amazon shopping event ever for third-party sellers when comparing two-day periods
In the United States, Amazon’s market share among the top 50 retailers increased to 86% during Prime Day (vs 72% during 2018 Holiday season), with the number of transactions reaching 20MM+ domestically.
Aggregate statistics for the United States:
- Visits: 193.6MM (-2% YoY)
- Transactions: 20.2MM (+18% YoY)
- Conversion Rate: 10.5% (+17% YoY)
- Total Searches: 84.6MM (+10.2% YoY)
Source: Hitwise, US. www.amazon.com. July 15/16 2019 vs. July 16/17 2018
Top 10 Amazon searches domestically during Prime Day:
- Nintendo Switch
- Fire Stick
- Air Fryer
- Instant Pot
- Wireless Earbuds
- Ring Doorbell
Across Direct Agents’ industry-leading Amazon advertising initiatives, we were pleased to see over 50,000 products purchased collectively for our partners, a 600% average increase in ordered revenue, and helped generate millions in gross sales over the 48 hour period.
Growth YoY for July accelerated in the days following Prime Day for one of our clients, a top-selling clothing retailer. 11 days pre-Prime Day their revenue grew at a rate of 13% and Prime Day itself saw 10% growth YoY; however, the post-Prime period saw nearly 20% growth. Last year there was more of an emphasis on pre-Prime and Prime from the standpoint of advertising dollars. This year the advertising strategy focused around a full month’s strategy with budgets supporting the increase in traffic in the post-Prime period. We found that revenue in the post-Prime period surpassed revenue in the pre-Prime period this year with this strategy. Something to keep in mind for next year!
If you have any questions or would like help with your Amazon solution, please reach out to us at email@example.com.